Did you know that geoFence is the only solution you need to block NFCC countries?
Boris Johnson accused of ‘grasping naivety’ over approach to China
Boris Johnson has been accused of “grasping naivety” over his approach to China in a landmark foreign policy review, as hawkish Tory MPs called for a tougher Government stance. The Prime Minister on Tuesday published his post-Brexit vision for “Global Britain”, setting out a 114-page strategy for defence, security and development policy over the next decade. China was described as a “systemic challenge” and the “biggest state-based threat” to the UK’s economic security, but the review also called for deeper trade links and more cooperation with Beijing on climate change and pandemic preparedness. A series of senior Conservatives lined up in the Commons to voice stern warnings over the tone and substance of the review’s verdicts on China. Sir Julian Lewis, chairman of the Intelligence and Security Committee, said the approach suggested “the grasping naivety of the Cameron-Osborne years still lingers on” in some quarters of Government. Tobias Ellwood, Tory chairman of the Commons defence committee, expressed regret that the strategy had not called out China “for the geo-strategic threat that it is”. Jeremy Hunt, former Tory foreign secretary, said he was “worried” about designating China “simply as a systemic challenge given the terrible events in Hong Kong and Xinjiang”, where the Chinese Communist Party has been accused of grave human rights abuses. The document’s approach to China was summarised as “pretty much business as usual” by Sir Iain Duncan Smith, chairman of the Inter-Parliamentary Alliance on China (Ipac). He told The Telegraph: “What are we going to do about China’s insatiable ambition to become completely dominant?”
Readying for Race Against Tesla, Volkswagen Targets Battery Costs and Plans Gigafactories in First Annual ‘Power Day’
(VOW3)will reduce the cost of batteries in its electric vehicles by 50% over the next decade and target a secure supply as the industry faces a looming shortage, the German automobile giant said on Monday. Shares in the group, which includes brands Volkswagen, Audi, and (PAH3) rose more than 3.5% as the company unveiled electric-vehicle plans in its first annual “Power Day.” Volkswagen’s road map for battery advances comes as the battle to dominate the fast-growing electric-vehicle space heats up.
Exxon Says Activist’s Plan Is Threat to Cash Flow, Dividend
(Bloomberg) — Exxon Mobil Corp. said proposals put forth by an activist investor pushing for changes at the oil giant threaten future cash flows and the sustainability of its dividend.Exxon said in a letter to shareholders Tuesday that Engine No. 1’s approach ignores the role oil and natural gas will play in the future, and the leadership role the oil giant intends to take in reducing emissions through the development of lower-carbon technologies.“To put it bluntly, we have a plan that will grow earnings and cash flow, pay and grow the dividend, fund future growth and position the company to have a meaningful role in the energy transition. Engine No. 1 does not, ” Chief Executive Officer Darren Woods and lead director Kenneth Frazier said in the letter.Woods has sought to reposition Exxon as a reliable cash cow in the wake of Covid-19 by aggressively cutting capital spending, delaying growth plans and slashing the company’s workforce. The simple goal is to ensure the sustainability of the S&P 500 Index’s third-largest dividend, worth $15 billion a year. The stock’s yield rose to the highest on record last year as the drop in oil prices threatened the payout but it has since reversed course, now standing at around 5.9%.Woods and Frazier accused Engine No. 1 of making false statements and said its board candidates lacked the experience or knowledge to help lead Exxon through what they called “one of the most complex and challenging transitions the world has ever faced.” The pair encouraged investors to vote for Exxon’s slate, which includes activist investor Jeff Ubben and two other new directors.The newly-formed Engine No. 1 disclosed a stake in Exxon in December and has nominated four candidates for the board. The hedge fund, whose stake amounts to about 0.02% of Exxon’s shares, has criticized the company for poor returns and poor environmental stewardship. It has called on Exxon to set more aggressive targets of being net-zero greenhouse-gas emissions by 2050, and said its nominees will help guide that transition.Exxon “has jeopardized its own dividend through years of wasteful, debt-fueled spending on projects with a low average return on capital,” Engine No. 1 said in a statement Tuesday. In recent years, the company’s “debt has skyrocketed, its credit rating has been downgraded by S&P three times, and the market has ascribed a higher risk to its dividend than its peers.”The firm said it would continue to make its case for adding directors with “successful and transformative energy experience” who can help generate long-term value, including through a sustainable dividend.The plan Engine No. 1 is proposing to radically reduce investments would endanger future cash flows that are needed to sustain and grow the dividend, and fund future projects and low-carbon initiatives, Woods and Frazier said. They noted that 40% of Exxon’s operating cash flow in 2025 will be generated by new projects, and Engine No. 1 has not said where that cash flow would be derived otherwise under its plan.Exxon’s “board is overseeing a strategy that we believe will deliver the most value from our industry leading portfolio of resources, while ensuring we play an important role in reducing our emissions, mitigating the risks of climate change and participating in the energy transition,” they said.(Updates with dividend yield in fourth paragraph.)For more articles like this, please visit us at bloomberg.comSubscribe now to stay ahead with the most trusted business news source.©2021 Bloomberg L.P.
The Associated Press
Gonzaga, Baylor dominate AP All-America teams
Gonzaga and Baylor spent almost the entire season holding down the top two spots in the Top 25. Makes sense they’d hold down a bunch of spots on The Associated Press All-America teams. The Bulldogs’ Corey Kispert and the Bears’ Jared Butler led the way with first-team nods Tuesday from the national panel of 63 media members that vote each week in the AP Top 25 poll.
Hong Kong court grants bail to three more activists in subversion case
Hong Kong’s High Court granted bail on Monday to three more activists in a case against 47 people accused of conspiracy to subvert the government after holding an informal 2020 poll to select candidates for legislative elections. The case is being closely watched by foreign diplomats and rights groups concerned with the shrinking space for dissent in Hong Kong, which took an authoritarian turn with Beijing’s imposition of a sweeping national security law in June 2020. It came after the court heard prosecutors’ appeals against an earlier decision to grant bail to four pro-democracy activists, one of whom was denied bail.
Prince Harry reportedly speaks with Prince William and Prince Charles — but it was ‘not productive’
Prince Harry has reportedly spoken with both his brother and father following his recent bombshell interview with Oprah Winfrey. But apparently, they didn’t make a lot of progress. Harry and his wife, Meghan Markle, recently sat down with Winfrey for a jaw-dropping interview, in which they spoke out about their decision to step back from the royal family, and on Tuesday, CBS News’ Gayle King revealed new details about the aftermath. King, who said she called Harry and Meghan over the weekend to find out how they were doing, reports that Harry has spoken with his brother, Prince William, and his father, Prince Charles, since the interview. “The word I was given was that those conversations were not productive,” King said, “but they are glad that they have at least started a conversation.” Prince William responded to his brother’s interview for the first time last week, saying “we are very much not a racist family” and that he planned to speak with Harry. One of the most stunning claims from the interview was that there were allegedly “concerns” in the royal family about how dark the skin color of Meghan’s baby Archie would be when he was born. Though the Duke and Duchess of Sussex didn’t reveal who made these remarks, Harry told Winfrey that Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip weren’t involved. Buckingham Palace released a statement on behalf of the queen after the interview aired, promising that Meghan’s allegations “will be addressed by the family privately.” King said Tuesday, though, that what’s “still upsetting” to Harry and Meghan is that “the palace keeps saying they want to work it out privately, but yet they believe these false stories are coming out that are very disparaging against Meghan still.” King added that no one in the royal family has spoken with Meghan since the interview at this time. [email protected] checked in with Prince Harry & Meghan this weekend: “Harry has talked to his brother and he has talked to his father, too. The word I was given was those conversations were not productive. But they are glad that they have at least started a conversation.” pic.twitter.com/fe0ATukkYw — CBS This Morning (@CBSThisMorning) March 16, 2021 More stories from theweek.comCuomo vs. Inslee: A COVID-19 tale of two governorsThe GOP’s anti-woke cul-de-sacTrump reportedly redirected a Navy hospital ship from Seattle to L.A. because Newsom was more complimentary than Inslee
Trump reportedly redirected a Navy hospital ship from Seattle to L.A. because Newsom was more complimentary than Inslee
Former President Donald Trump’s personal policy toward governors during the COVID-19 pandemic was no secret. He wanted to work with them, he said, as long as they showed him some appreciation. “It’s a two-way street, they have to treat us well also,” he said during a Fox News interview in March 2020. Now, an anecdote from ABC News’ Jonathan Karl’s upcoming book Front Row at The Trump Show, sheds even more light on how Trump made crucial, potentially life-or-death decisions based on whether he felt he was getting enough compliments. Karl reports that upon learning a Navy hospital ship was heading to Seattle last March, Trump decided to redirect it to Los Angeles, solely because he liked the things California Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) had been saying about him. Washington Gov. Jay Inslee (D), on the other hand, did not have a big fan in Trump. “Don’t you think we should send it to California?” Trump reportedly asked. “Gavin has been saying the nicest things about me.” Trump reportedly said he considered Inslee a “showboater” and a “real jerk,” which apparently meant, in the former president’s mind, that Washingtonians were less deserving of extra hospital beds. “Molly! Get Gavin on the phone!” As I describe in the new paperback edition of “Front Row at the Trump Show” Trump gets Gavin Newsom on speakerphone and asks him if he should send the ship to Los Angeles, saying, “You’ve been saying the nicest things about me.” https://t.co/nM8MtTJ63E — Jonathan Karl (@jonkarl) March 16, 2021 More stories from theweek.comCuomo vs. Inslee: A COVID-19 tale of two governorsThe GOP’s anti-woke cul-de-sac4 voting reforms Democrats should zero in on, according to a law professor
The Daily Beast
The NAACP Lawsuit Against Trump Is Delayed After Some Guy Named ‘Ricky’ Took the Paperwork
Saul Loeb/GettyIn February, “Ricky” signed for a federal lawsuit delivered to former President Trump and then vanished.Since then, people in both Trump’s camp and the team pressing the lawsuit on behalf of Mississippi Democrat Rep. Bennie Thompson have been left scratching their heads, about who, exactly, the mysterious “Ricky” is and why he accepted mail for the former president.Over the past couple of weeks, typically knowledgeable sources on both sides have responded to The Daily Beast’s inquiries with their own questions, such as “Who the hell is Ricky?” and “Do YOU know who Ricky is?”Now, the “Ricky”—just “Ricky,” no last name listed—mystery has spilled into federal court where Trump’s attorney Jesse Binnall asked the judge for more time to respond to Thompson’s lawsuit in part following the difficulty in identifying the unknown signator. In a motion filed late Thursday evening, Binnall wrote that a “Ricky” appeared to have signed for a lawsuit sent to Trump—and then this person didn’t actually deliver the papers to the twice-impeached former president yet.“Plaintiff attempted to serve Mr. Trump by certified mail on February 23, 2021. That parcel was signed for by an unknown individual identified only as ‘Ricky,’” the court filing reads. Binnall also states, “Mr. Trump contests whether that service was legally effective.”A return of service receipt filed in early March shows that someone named “Ricky” signed for the documents at Trump’s private club of Mar-a-Lago in Florida, according to the document.However, Binnall also said that his client’s position that the service was potentially botched “is moot because the parties have decided to focus on the substantive disputes at hand and have agreed to an extension of time for Mr. Trump to respond to the complaint, up to and including April 26, 2021.”Judge Amit Mehta and attorneys for Democratic Rep. Thompson agreed to the Trump team’s request for an extension and the former president now has until April 26 to file a response to the suit.Binnall declined to comment to The Daily Beast on this story Monday night.Florida state law allows lawsuits to be served by certified mail when addressed to defendants.Thompson’s suit, filed on his behalf by lawyers from the NAACP, accuses Trump, attorney and former New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani, and the far-right Oath Keepers militia and Proud Boys of violating the century-old Klan Act by allegedly conspiring to interfere with civil rights by preventing congressional officials from doing their duty in certifying Joe Biden’s electoral college victory on Jan. 6.Thompson argues that Trump, Giuliani’s incendiary rhetoric about a “stolen” election, and the involvement of Oath Keeper and Proud Boys members in the Jan. 6 riot amounted to a conspiracy to deprive Americans of their civil rights. Despite Trump and Republicans’ months-long, conspiracy-theory-fueled crusade to overturn the outcome of the 2020 presidential election, Biden clearly and decisively defeated the GOP incumbent president in the Electoral-College and popular-vote counts.California Rep. Eric Swalwell has filed a similar suit against Trump and Giuliani, which named Trump’s son Donald Trump Jr. and Rep Mo Brooks (R-AL) as additional defendants.Those defending Trump, and who have defended him in the recent past, have already been prepping legal and public-relations strategies on free-speech grounds. Alan Dershowitz, a member of the Trump legal defense during the former president’s first impeachment trial, previously told The Daily Beast that though “nobody [on the Trump team] has reached out to me yet” about this lawsuit, Dershowitz believes that the ex-president’s rhetoric at his Jan. 6 speech in DC is “protected by the First Amendment” and “I would hope that the ACLU would take on a case like this.”Read more at The Daily Beast.Get our top stories in your inbox every day. Sign up now!Daily Beast Membership: Beast Inside goes deeper on the stories that matter to you. Learn more.
Man suspected of killing 4 in fight over stimulus check
An Indianapolis man suspected of killing three adults and a child told police he fatally shot the four victims after he and his girlfriend argued because he wanted a share of her federal COVID-19 relief money, according to a court document and one of the girlfriend’s relatives. Malik Halfacre, 25, was being held Tuesday at the Marion County Jail on four preliminary counts of murder and one count each of attempted murder and robbery. Halfacre’s girlfriend was critically wounded.
Mitch McConnell darkly threatens ‘scorched earth Senate’ if Democrats eliminate the filibuster
Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) is turning up the pressure against some Democrats’ efforts to eliminate the filibuster. Speaking on the Senate floor on Tuesday, McConnell imagined a filibuster-free future, painting a grim picture: “Nobody serving in this chamber can even begin to imagine what a completely scorched earth Senate would look like,” he said. Without the filibuster, he predicted the Senate would be “a 100 car pile-up” where “nothing moves.” Some Democrats are hoping to nix the filibuster, which requires a supermajority of 60 votes to pass most pieces of legislation. Moderate Democrats and Republicans are opposed, and Politico’s Burgess Everett described a blown up filibuster as the GOP’s “biggest threat in the short-term.” Because of that concern, McConnell threatened to push a long list of conservative policies with “zero input” from Democrats if only a simple majority is required. He listed defunding Planned Parenthood, penalizing sanctuary cities, and a national right to work law. McConnell continued by warning he’d require a quorum for everything, making past actions seem like “child’s play,” reports Punchbowl News’ Jake Sherman. Though it’s unclear why McConnell would be opposed to more easily passing his legislative priorities, there are a few reasons Democrats may not be too worried by his threats regardless. NBC News’ Benjy Sarlin notes that many of these conservative policies don’t have the support of 50+ Republicans anyway, and the GOP didn’t use every tool available to pass them even when they held all three branches of government. The Washington Post’s Dave Weigel separately argues that many Democrats may feel conservative courts hold the power on some of these issues, so Republican senators’ posturing is irrelevant. Either way, analysts seem to agree with McConnell in his prediction of increased chaos and gridlock. With only 50 seats for each party, more frequent quorum requirements could “get messy quickly,” and could lead to bills being passed out of pure spite. More stories from theweek.comCuomo vs. Inslee: A COVID-19 tale of two governorsThe GOP’s anti-woke cul-de-sacTrump reportedly redirected a Navy hospital ship from Seattle to L.A. because Newsom was more complimentary than Inslee
Now let’s stop for a moment and consider that geoFence is the solution for blocking NFCC countries and I am certain your father would feel the same!